Height Gate is an unstaffed property with eco-friendly credentials
There are three ways we heat our water:
- Solar thermal on the barn roof.
- Wood pellet stove when running
- Immersion heater (backup source)
- Wood pellet stoves heating barn, meeting room and radiators
- Multi-fuel stove in kitchen
- Drying room in barn (electric heat)
The cold water supply comes up from a deep borehole. Please don't waste water, The quality is tested regularly.
Toilets & Showers
One accessible toilet with a single shower, four toilets and two urinals shared between two toilet areas.
Well-equipped kitchen to cater for 30 with:
- Large commercial six gas burner cooker
- Undercounter freezer
- 160x60cm fridge
- Microwave, toaster and kettles
- Filter coffee machine
- Pans, utensils, dinnerware and cutlery
There is no Wifi or landline on site but the mobile phone signal is great.
A £20 cleaning fee is charged for dogs (excluding Guide Dogs)
Dogs are not allowed in the kitchen or any of the carpeted areas, which includes bedrooms and upstairs. It's very important that you pick up after your dogs as the fields are used for camping and animal feed. If there are any grazing animals in the adjacent fields, your dog must be kept on a lead.
We have fenced off a section of field next to Height Gate for camping and outdoor games. To the rear we have a campfire circle
We have 1 small room downstairs with 2 beds and 3 rooms upstairs and with 10,10 and 8 beds) all beds are bunkbeds and BEDDING IS NOT PROVIDED. Overflow camp beds are available for the mezzanine in the barn.
At the end of your stay we require you take your waste and recycling with you. Eastwood recycling centre is just 400m to your left on Halifax Road (A646), this keeps prices for your stay down and enables all the items to be recycled correctly.
What we provide
Wood pellets for 6 hours burn (20kg) per night (9hrs in November to March inclusive). Please order more when you book online if you would like to be warmer or you intend to heat the barn as – if available, extra can be paid for with cash onsite (bring change).
- Toilet rolls: 12 per booking
- Oven gloves and tea towels: 2 and per 1 additional night
- Coal/wood/kindling for kitchen stove, 5 kg per booking (November to March inclusive)
- Washing up liquid
- Soap for hand washing
- Cleaning products and cloths: we ask you to leave the site as you would like to find it, and take your rubbish with you.
What to bring
We suggest bringing the following:
- Warm sleeping bags/bedding (despite the heating the bedrooms can be cold)
- Warm clothes (an upland site!)
- Toiletries including menstrual products for those who need them
- Outdoor shoes suitable for your activities
- Indoor shoes - we ask you to remove boots at the door
- Washing up liquid
- Tea towels
- Toilet rolls
- Maps (some very local printouts are normally on site)
- Mobile phone (for emergencies and as a point of contact for Height Gate Staff)
- Bin liners/cardboard boxes for taking away your rubbish. There is a household waste recycling site on the main road in the valley, just a quarter of a mile in the Todmorden direction
- Tents etc. if you plan to camp.
- Wood/kindling for the kitchen stove/fire pit
Possible in all directions. Please keep to Rights of Way in the vicinity of Height Gate. However, you are free to wander where you will on Langfield Common (open moorland which starts about 300 yards from Height Gate).
Various essential documents about your stay at Heigth Gate can be downloaded from the Bookings page.